It’s a great beginning.
But alone it won’t sustain a relationship over time.
And energy without a reliable vehicle to run through ends up being dissipated into thin air..
Energy channeled through a container is of great value.
Think of fire versus electricity.
Fire may be more beautiful,
Yet electricity is more practical.
In a relationship you need both.
You need the spark that ignites the engine..
AND you need a well designed, well oiled engine.
So what’s the engine of relationships?
It’s its structures:
– The relational culture
– The agreements and vows
– The defined ways of navigating conflict
– The tools to bridge divides
– The rituals that nourish friendship
– The rituals that nourish desire
– The social & financial context
– The greater vision & mission
– The spiritual frame from which you relate
These are some of the structures that ensure that the love you feel can travel far and for a long, long time without breaking down.
Yet on love alone you’ll burn your life to ashes.
Open your heart; but don’t close your mind in the process.